Monday, June 15, 2009

Mondays

I have a case of the Mondays; although today seems to be more severe than most. I actually got up at 6 am to catch up on my 90-day reading. This lasted about 15 minutes before I gave up and went back to bed. The kids finally had to drag me out of bed at 7:30 am. Do you know how much harder it is to get your day started when no one has made coffee and the kids have to drag you out of bed?

We had a crazy-busy weekend -- and I'm the only one who seems to be exhausted from it! We drove 3 1/2 hours to witness the commencement of my sister from University with her degree in teaching (way to go, Sis!). Drove home in time to catch the end of a graduation party and rest up before a birthday party yesterday. Whew! As I sit here with my coffee, my grocery list, and the laundry I am successfully ignoring, I ponder this verse:

"I am the LORD you God; consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy."
Leviticus 11:44

Consecrate: to set apart
Holy: different, distinct, set apart

I was created in the image of God. God is holy, therefore I am to focus my attention and energy on being holy: different, distinct. My days feel the same, but God has created me special, just for this very purpose. My kids drive me down the line on the Crazy Train, but God has set me aside as their mom. Some days I wonder if my efforts are for naught, but God reminds me that in this season, I am where I am to be, doing what I am to be doing.

Yesterday in church, we studied Proverbs 3 (5-6 NIV, emphasis mine):
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

As I focus on being set apart, different, I rely on the LORD for strength and understanding.

How is your Monday?
How do you rely on your own strength?
How can you or do you rely on God for your strength?


No comments: