Monday, June 1, 2009

Understanding

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Where did May go? Can anyone tell me? I seem to have misplaced it somewhere around here. Just last week I was traveling to Idaho to see my family for a combined Mothers' Day/graduation celebration weekend. I was blessed to be with my mom on Mother's Day -- which is rare since we live almost 400 miles apart -- plus the bonus of witnessing her receive her double master's degree (Way to go, Mom!).

So that was Mother's Day and now people are telling me it's June 1. Excuse me? What? Where did the last three weeks go? Yikes! Why is it that we always have the best of intentions? Or is it just me? Every day seems to be filled with "need to's" and "must have's" and "don't forget to..." I have a list daily of, as my dad likes to call them, round-to-it's. As in, "I'll get 'round to it." Laundry, dishes, filing, paying bills, school, play-dates, end of year celebrations, start of barbecue season, were we going to plant a garden in there somewhere?

I find the busier I get the less I lean on Him and the more I lean on Me. Big mistake. Huge! I run around in circles much like a puppy dog or a hamster, not understanding why I get no where really fast. Did I invite her to church? Did I reach out to them in their time of hurt? Did I empty the dishwasher? This is too much for one person. And this is about the time that God gently taps me on the shoulder and says, "Child of mine, when are you going to stop running? I want to help you, but you must listen to my voice."

So, in the quiet moments I can steal away today, I am forcing myself to stop and listen. Listen to the voice that says, "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10a) Yes, there are bills waiting to be paid and laundry waiting to be folded and a childhood waiting to be lived and molded. In the here and now, God is asking me to trust only in Him. Not in my own strength or my lists or my over-bearing guilt! Just Him and me and the Word.

This summer I am putting all my books down except for one. I have challenged myself to reading the Bible in 90 days. Since I forgot today was June 1, I'm a little behind (but the day's not over yet!). I will keep you posted as to my progress. If you would like to join me, go to this website: http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/readingplans/index.php/today?plan=6&version=31
You can read that days passage on the site or pick up your own bible and read through that day's selected text. I believe there are about 12 pages per day, so there is quite a bit of reading. I have decided to put down all other reading to focus on this task. Please pray for me and with me as I begin on this journey. As you can see by this post I have issues with stick-to-it-ivness, lists, must do's, etc. I am praying that this becomes part of my journey, instead of one more thing to do in my day. More on that tomorrow.

In His Love,
Amber

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I saw a great quote on a plaque (of course!) at a friends house yesterday evening. It said this, "Be still and listen to the whisper of God". Kind of cool to have read that and see your post today. I'm thinking this is the summer theme for all of us =].

Michelle said...

"Be still..." is a life verse for me. Thanks for the reminder as I head into a summer with the girls home and many ministry irons in the fire. I will be praying for you and your Bible reading!